Recipe by brucetidwell
Real Texas chili has no beans or chunks of tomato. The flavor of this chili will explode in your mouth. Use quality fresh spices…it does make a difference.
Top Review by h_metts
My husband hates beans and when I found this recipe I thought I'd take a chance -- I'm really glad that I did! I did have to substitute turkey pepperoni and turkey Italian sausage for the chorizo because we don't eat pork but this is an excellent recipe and great flavor! Awesome over hotdogs and freezes well.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs ground sirloin
- 1⁄2 lb mild chorizo sausage (Mexican sausage)
- 2 teaspoons course sea salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 2 medium white onions (finely chopped)
- 2 cups green onions (finely chopped)
- 1 large green bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 1 large red bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 4 tablespoons minced garlic (four cloves)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 7 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 g sazon goya with coriander and annatto (found in the ethnic or Mexican food isle-two packets)
- 2 g sazon goya with tomato and coriander (found in the ethnic or Mexican food isle-two packets)
- 32 ounces beef broth
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans Hunts tomato sauce
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) canhunts diced tomato chili sauce
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can sloppy joe sandwich sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3⁄4 cup seasoned dry bread crumb
- 4 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1⁄3 cup warm water
- shredded cheddar cheese
- oyster crackers
Directions See How It's Made
- In large skillet, sauté all vegetables in olive oil for 10 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Add ground sirloin, chorizo, course sea salt and fresh course ground black pepper to skillet and thoroughly cook over medium heat. Drain well.
- In large stock pot, combine all ingredients (except cornmeal and water), bring to simmer, cover and continue to simmer for 1 hour. Stir every 20 minutes.
- Mix cornmeal in 1/3 cup warm water. Add to chili and stir well. Cover and simmer on low for 30 minutes. (You can simmer for hours if you want, just stir every 20 minutes. ).
- Stir well and top individual servings with shredded cheddar cheese and oyster crackers. Chow down!
- Refrigerate or freeze leftovers.