Recipe by Kim D.
This soup has a great flavor! I found the recipe in the local newspaper, but changed it up a little. My kids even like it, but they like spicy foods!
Top Review by Goodeatin
I have made this many times. We all love this. Have made for guests as well. I do have a few modifications: use 1 TB dried minced onion, 1 TB diced jarred jalepeno, cut the carrots into small pieces, I add a can of sweet, drained corn, and I cut up the chicken into bite sized pieces (can use precooked). Also only use 1-2 TB oil. We like to top with sour cream, which we would never leave out!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 1 lb raw boneless skinless chicken
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes
- 3 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- tortilla chips
- 1 cup grated monterey jack cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large stockpot, heat butter and oil over medium heat.
- Add onions, jalapeno, garlic, carrots and raw chicken.
- Simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir in seasonings.
- Add tomatoes and chicken broth.
- Stir well and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- To serve, crumble tortilla chips in the bottom of individual soup bowls.
- Fill bowls with soup and top with cheese.