Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
A little bit different twist on an ordinary quesadilla. Serve with salsa, sour cream, or guacamole.
Make and share this Texas Chicken Quesadillas recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 onion, sliced into rings
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into strips
- 1⁄2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1⁄2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 8 10-inch flour tortillas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large, deep skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium high heat.
- Slowly cook and stir onion until translucent.
- Mix in honey.
- Stir until onion is golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Place remaining oil and chicken in the skillet over medium high heat.
- Cook until chicken is no longer pink.
- Stir in barbeque sauce and evenly coat chicken.
- Layer 4 tortillas individually with chicken, onions, Cheddar cheese and Monterey Jack cheese.
- Top with remaining tortillas.
- One or two at a time, place layered tortillas on a large baking sheet.
- Bake uncovered in the preheated oven 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Cut into wedges to serve.
Giving it 5 stars for taste. Next time will use more onion. Also had larger tortillas, so just mixed chicken and onions and layered cheese on top to make 2 complete quesadillas. More than enough for 4.
These were a hit. Unfortunately I forgot the bbq sauce after sticking it in the oven,but they still turned out great. I used 2 large tortillas and added sliced olives to it. I also layered cheese on top and bottom to help glue it together, and extra cheesey. Next time I have to add the bbq sauce!
I agree. The filling wasn't enough to fill all of the tortillas. We liked this, though. Reminded us of California Pizza Kitchen's barbecued chicken pizza. Those who don't like spicy liked these as they were very mild. I guess it depends on the type of bbq sauce you use. When I prepare these again, I will spice things up by adding some chopped chipotles in adobo sauce or some sliced jalapenos.