Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Black-eyed peas, the official caviar of Texas, baked in a meaty and spicy casserole. A snap to put together!
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas with jalapenos, drained
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel tomatoes & chilies
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 ounce) can red enchilada sauce
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) bag nacho cheese flavored tortilla chips
- 4 cups shredded four-cheese Mexican blend cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, saute ground beef, onions and garlic until meat is lightly brown and onions are limp. Drain off fat.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except for tortilla chips and cheese.
- In a 12-inch Dutch oven or deep oven-proof skillet, place alternate layers of meat mixture, cheese and crumbled chips.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until bubbly.