Recipe by VegSocialWorker
From "Some Like it Hot" by Robin Robertson. Cook times are estimates and do not include the hour to "sit". I have removed the olive oil from this recipe to cut down on fat, but if you want add 2 Tbsp of oil to the mixture at the end before letting the dip sit.
- 3 cups cooked black-eyed peas
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a food processor, combine the peas, onion, parsley, garlic, salt, cumin, cayenne, and oregano and pulse until just mixed (but still retaining a coarse texture). Add a little water as needed. Some canned black eyed peas are a little dry.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl, add the vinegar and mix well.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Set aside for an hour or so to allow flavors to develop.
- Serve on crackers or as a dip for chips or raw vegetables.