Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a summer time staple for us. Great appetizer for your BBQ'S.
- 2 (16 ounce) cans black-eyed peas
- 2 (16 ounce) canswhole kernel white corn
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large purple onion, chopped
- 6 jalapenos, seeded and chopped (more or less, depends on your heat tolerance!)
- 6 roma tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- salt and pepper, to your taste
- Drain and rinse beans and corn.
- Combine in a large bowl with chopped peppers, onions, and tomatoes.
- Mix oil, vinegar, Tabasco, salt and pepper.
- Pour over salad and stir gently to coat.
- Chill for several hours (over night is best though).
- Serve with tortilla chips.
This was great.Doubled the recipe since I was having a big cookout.There was none left.We really enjoyed this.
The flavor was great--I prefer this to the recipes made with Italian salad dressing hands down. My one criticism was that it was very wet. I had to dish it up with a slotted spoon and really drain it before I served it. I drained my cans--I guess it was just the water in the tomatoes. One of my guests also suggested the tortilla chips with lime. Maybe a squeeze of lime in the dish itself would be good, too.
My husband makes this frequently. It takes very little time to make. We leave out the tomato. Usually we buy tortilla chips with lime. We heat the chips about 20 seconds in the microwave. The warm/hot chips against the cold Texas Caviar are wonderful.