I saw this recipe in the Tyler newspaper and I don't even like blackeye peas and thought this might be good. Mentioned it to a friend and she had already made it the day before and loved it. Made last night and it is awesome (this coming from someone who hates New Years Day because I hold to the southern tradition of pork, greens and blackeye peas, which I gag on. But this is wonderful. Comes from Erica Cady 2007 Blackeyed Pea Festival in Athens, Texas. This is really better the longer and longer you let it sit.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can shoe peg corn
- 1 (10 ounce) can rotel, drained
- 1 large avocado, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 1 cup diced tomato (I used can diced because of the season)
- 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- garlic powder, to taste
- salt and pepper
- cilantro, Not called for in recipe but added
- Mix all ingredients and let sit at least four hours in the fridge. The longer it sits the better. Serve with chips.
This is really good! Will be making this often.
I made this recipe for my college graduation party and it was WONDERFUL! My son was at first upset that I did not use a recipe that he had, but I liked the sound of this one with the avocado. I doubled the recipe right off the bat and I am glad that I did! He stopped complaining after he tasted it. Thanks for posting it!
I made this for Pick A Chef Spring 2009. It's a great combination of vegetables. It tastes fresh, and it does in fact improve in taste after it sits in the refrigerator. We've been enjoying it all week!