Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Slightly sweet, not too spicy. Serve with tortilla chips. Print copies of this recipe, people always ask for it!
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 425.24 g can black-eyed peas
- 425.24 g can black beans
- 311.84 g can white shoepeg corn
- 453.59 g bottle Italian dressing
- 4 roma tomatoes
- 1 bunch cilantro
- Remove membranes and seeds from peppers.
- Dice peppers and place in a large plastic bowl (jalapenos should be finely chopped).
- Drain and rinse the black beans, blackeye peas, and shoepeg corn and add to peppers.
- Add italian dressing and stir well.
- Cover and marinate in refrigerator for 8 hours.
- Dice roma tomatoes and cilantro and stir into mixture.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
I first tried Texas Caviar while at my husband's family reunion in Austin during Thanksgiving last year. This recipe duplicated what my sister-in-law made for us perfectly, except she had added red onion. I used a medium shallot and also added some tobasco sauce, cumin, and a little chili powder to spice it up some to meet my family's desire for a spicier flavor. Everyone loved this recipe and couldn't stop eating it. I have had several requests for the recipe from guests who shared this delicious snack with us. I have also served this as a side dish with grilled chicken and as a relish on cheese quesadillas. I will make this recipe over and over again. Thanks for posting this terrific recipe!
Super easy, put should have used zingier dressing. I thought I had some but had to make my own. Put everything together, didn't wait on tomatoes and cilantro.
Best that I have tried!! Will make this often.