Recipe by leenie<3
I got this recipe from my Aunt. It was in a cookbook called Great American Recipes. These tender brownies are quick to prepare, using ingredients that are handy in the kitchen. This recipe makes a large pan great for a potluck!
Top Review by Dawn D.
This is probably my favorite recipe EVER!! Diabetic whose boys are grown and don't live close to me, so I haven't baked in years. When my oldest son was 16 or 17, he ate an entire panful overnight that was intended for a work food day the following day! And honestly, I could do it also! Once won a prize for me in a bake-off!
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup brewed coffee or 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup dark unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl combine the flour and sugar.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine butter, shortening, coffee or water, and cocoa. Stir and heat to boiling.
- Pour boiling mix over the flour and sugar in the bowl. Add the buttermilk, eggs, baking soda and vanilla.
- Mix well , and pour into a well buttered 171/2-by-11-inch jelly roll pan.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 17 minute Cool, then cut into 48 bars, and enjoy!