Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 hrs
Found at Food Network. Recommends using wood chips for smoky flavor. Looks labor intensive but one of these days I'll get around to trying it. If you beat me to it, let me know how it goes!
- 1⁄4 cup kosher salt or 1⁄4 cup sea salt
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons pure chile powder
- 2 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (5 -6 lb) center-cut piece beef brisket
- 6 slices bacon
- 1⁄3 cup beer
- 1⁄3 cup apple cider
- 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup coffee
- 1⁄3 cup beef stock or 1⁄3 cup chicken stock
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Make the rub by placing the salt, brown sugar, paprika, chili powder, pepper, onion powder, and oregano in a small bowl and stir to mix.
- If your brisket has a thick layer of fat, trim it to a thickness of 1/4-inch.
- Place the brisket in a roasting pan and generously sprinkle both sides with the rub, using about 3 tablespoons per side and patting it into the meat with your fingertips.
- The leftover rub can be stored for several months in a jar.
- You can cook the brisket right away, but it will taste better if you let it cure in the refrigerator covered for at least 4 to 24 hours.
- When ready to cook, place the brisket in the center of the hot grate, fat side up, over the drip pan and away from the heat.
- Drape the bacon slices over the top of the meat, and then cover the grill.
- Cook the brisket until very tender, 5 to 6 hours or until the internal temperature reaches about 190 degrees F. Generously mop or baste the meat on both sides with the mop sauce.
- Wrap the brisket in aluminum foil, and continue cooking until done.
- Transfer the grilled brisket to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Thinly slice across the grain, using an electric knife or sharp carving knife.
- Transfer the sliced meat to a platter.
- Serve with favorite BBQ sauce.