Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a different version of the Texas Hot Cocoa Cake. The main difference is heating some of the ingredients in the microwave instead on the stove. Also, it is baked in a larger pan. It could be baked in a 9"x13" pan and cooked 35-40 minutes if desired.
- 1. Combine flour and sugar in a large bowl using a wire whip.
- 2. In a microwave safe dish combine cocoa, butter, shortening and coffee. Stir slightly, then microwave on high 2 minutes or until just boiling (note: do not over boil.).
- 3. Pour hot mixture over dry ingredients and beat with a wire whip until smooth.
- 4. In a medium size bowl or 4 cup measuring cup, combine buttermilk, eggs, soda and vanilla. Beat into batter until smooth.
- 5. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Use (a) if you wish to make brownies or (b) if you wish to make a cake.
- (a) Grease with butter a 11"x17.5" pan. Spread batter evenly and bake 18-20 minutes. Do not over bake.
- (b) Grease and flour a 9"x13" pan. Spread batter evenly and bake 35-40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean from center of cake.
- In a medium microwave safe bowl, combine butter cocoa and milk. Microwave on high 2 minutes or until boiling at the edge of the bowl. Add confectioners sugar slowly in batches, then add vanilla extract. Beat until smooth.
- Cool brownies/cake about 20 minutes then frost.