Recipe by Karen From Colorado
Convenient 1 pan meal. I found this recipe in an old cookbook along time ago. Kids love it! The original was not as spicy as I make it but I like the flavor better with the added ingredients. To make it even spicier, add some jalapeños instead of the green chili. I also add frozen corn once in awhile.
Top Review by Charlotte J
This is a quick recipe to fix and above all very tastey. Everyone in the family liked it. I like the green chilis in this recipe. My daughter wanted more rice in it. You should be able to add another 1/2 cup rice and some water.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chili peppers
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking white rice
- 3 tablespoons chopped bell peppers
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup shredded American cheese
- corn chips, crushed
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet cook ground beef and onion and garlic until meat is browned and vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the undrained tomatoes, undrained beans, green chili, uncooked rice, bell peppers, chili powder, cumin, salt and 1/2 cup water.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat.
- Simmer, covered for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Top with cheese.
- Recover and heat for 3 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Sprinkle corn chips over the top before serving.