In ‘Williams-Sonoma: One Pot of the Day’
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, toasted
- 1/4 cup pure dried ancho chile powder
- 1 tablespoon spanish smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 4 lbs boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups lager beer
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- shredded cheddar cheese
- chopped red onion
- sour cream
- minced jalapeno
- 1Using a mortar and pestle or a spice grinder, finely grind the cumin seeds.
- 2Transfer to a bowl, add the chili powder, paprika, and oregano, and mix well; set aside.
- 3Season the beef with salt and pepper.
- 4In a large, heavy pot, heat 2 T oil over med-high heat.
- 5Working in batches, sear the beef, turning occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes.
- 6Transfer to a plate.
- 7Add the remaining 1 T oil to the pot.
- 8Add the onion, jalapeno, bell pepper, and garlic and reduce heat to medium.
- 9Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion softens, about 5 minutes.
- 10Uncover, add the spice mixture, and stir well for 30 seconds.
- 11Stir in the beer and broth.
- 12Return the beef to the pot, cover and reduce heat to low.
- 13Simmer until the beef is fork-tender, 1 ½-2 hours.
- 14Remove the chili from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- 15Skim any fat from the surface.
- 16Bring the chili to a simmer over medium heat.
- 17Transfer about ½ cup of the cooking liquid to a small bowl and whisk in the cornmeal.
- 18Stir into the chili and cook until lightly thickened, about 1 minute.
- 19Season with salt and pepper.
- 20Spoon the chili into bowls and serve, garnished with cheese, red onions, sour cream or jalapenos, if desired.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Texas Beef Chili
Serving Size: 1 (397 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 423.3
- Calories from Fat 178
- Total Fat 19.8 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 149.6 mg
- Sodium 366.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 49.9 g