1/2 Photos of Texas BBQ Sweet-Hot Chili
KT Scarlet's Note:
This stick-to-your-ribs chili recipe has a sweetness to it that offsets the hot-but-not-too-hot burn that follows. I started with my step mom's recipe and made it my own. The amounts below are really "guesstimates" which makes it a little different every time!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- dill, to taste
- chili powder, to taste
- cumin, to taste
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, drained or 2 (14 ounce) cans substitute your favorite rotel
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 4 (16 ounce) cans chili beans
- 3/4 cup picante sauce, your favorite flavor and heat
- 1/2-3/4 cup barbecue sauce (I love the original KC Masterpiece, but any thick, sweet BBQ sauce should work.)
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- sour cream
- shredded cheddar cheese
- Frito Scoops
- prepared macaroni and cheese
- 1Sauté onion in a little bit of oil. Add ground beef and minced garlic. Dust with dill, chili powder, cumin and red pepper flakes. Mix and cook covered over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until beef is cooked through. Drain fat.
- 2Add tomatoes, tomato paste and beans.
- 3Add picante sauce, barbecue sauce, diced green chilies.
- 4Add any additional chili powder and/or red pepper flakes.
- 5Bring to a low boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes or more. I have let this simmer for up to 2 hours and the longer it sits, the yummier it gets. It's great the next day, and the day after, too!
- 6Serve with sour cream and shredded cheese on top. Eat with the Frito Scoops if you are feeling adventurous enough to dig in without a spoon.
- 7Optional - Make a box of mac 'n cheese and ring your chili bowl with it before spooning in the chili. Delectable!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Texas BBQ Sweet-Hot Chili
Serving Size: 1 (355 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 525.7
- Calories from Fat 133
- Total Fat 14.8 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 61.6 mg
- Sodium 988.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.0 g
- Sugars 9.5 g
- Protein 35.3 g