Prep 8 mins
Cook 8 mins
Not every waffle begs for syrup. Serve these savory delights with salsa and sour cream. Cooking time is as long as your waffle iron takes but I had to put something in.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 1⁄3 cups longhorn cheese or 1 1⁄3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon mild chili powder
- 1 2⁄3 cups milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green chilies
- Preheat the waffle maker.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, cheese, baking powder, sugar, salt and chili powder. Add the milk, eggs, vegetable oil and chiles, and mix just until moistened. Mixture may be a little lumpy.
- Bake in preheated waffle maker according to manufacturer's instructions. Makes 4 to 5 large waffles.
- Serve with your favorite salsa, sour cream and additional grated cheese.
These are really different from regular waffles and a nice change. I used mine to make a Mexican style pizza on a waffle. Put the leftovers in the freezer to use another time. Thanks for posting this Annacia. Made for 1~2~3 Hits.
These were good. I served mine with salsa and sourcream, but the kids ate theirs with butter, like a muffin. I put them in the toaster to recrisp them, and that worked perfectly!
What a different twist on everyday regular waffles, make certain to really grease you waffle machine for these, they tend to stick due to the addition of cheese. Thanks for sharing hon, we enjoyed these!...Kitten :)