Recipe by JohnsCutie
This is my version of Tia's Cancun veggies. They closed all their restaurants recently, so this is the only way I can get my favorite veggies. This is a great recipe to serve with Mexican food. We have diabetics in our family, and this is much lower in carbohydrates than rice and beans.
- 3 -4 zucchini
- 1 large purple onion
- frozen corn kernels
- canola oil
- light soy sauce
- pre-shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the ends off the zucchini, and make them into sticks about 2" long. If you are using small zucchini, cutting them into fourths is sufficient, but larger ones should be cut smaller. I cut mine small, but not like matchsticks.
- Slice the purple onion in half from top to root. Then slice each half into thin slices.
- Add canola oil to a non-stick skillet. Add the squash, onion, and frozen corn to the skillet (I do not use an entire package, just about 1/3 to 1/2 of it.
- Season with soy sauce. (This is something you will do to your taste. It takes several Tbsp to maybe a quarter cup, but I think less. I cannot give an exact measurement, because it depends on the volume of your vegetables.
- Saute until the vegetables are just past the "sweated" stage. The zucchini will not be crisp any more, but it won't be mushy.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with shredded mozzarella cheese.