Recipe by PSU Lioness
I found this recipe in a book called "Great American Favorite Brand Name Cookbook" and I have not tried it yet, but I'm trying to get some stuff up here before I have to return the book. So if anyone tries it and has any comments, let me know. Hope you enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 lb lean stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 lb loose hot Italian sausage
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
Directions See How It's Made
- In 6-quart saucepan, heat oil; saute onion, green pepper and garlic 3-4 minutes, or until tender.
- Add stew meat and sausage, stirring to crumble sausage; cook 5-6 minutes.
- Blend in tomato puree, broth, water, tomato paste, green chiles, chili powder, cumin, salt, sugar, oregano and cayenne pepper, if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Mix in beans. Cover and simmer and additional 30 minutes.