Recipe by Lorrie in Montreal
Low Fat and Diabetic Friendly.
Top Review by E W.
SO good! My entire family loved these, even those who are not health conscious. We ate them without buns but we added horseradish aioli with mild salsa and it added just that extra kick! I used more taco seasoning than listed and I would even have used some cayenne pepper or a medium taco seasoning instead of mild. Overall, I felt really great about them and they tasted GREAT and I usually am not a burger fan at all!
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3⁄4 cup chopped zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 1⁄4 lbs 95% lean ground turkey or 1 1⁄4 lbs ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix
- 3⁄4 cup shredded reduced-fat monterey jack cheese (or nonfat cheese) or 3⁄4 cup Mexican blend cheese (or nonfat cheese)
- 6 light hamburger buns or 6 multi-grain hamburger buns
- 1⁄4 cup salsa (or mix half and half) or 1⁄4 cup ketchup, plus (or mix half and half)
- 2 tablespoons salsa (or mix half and half) or 2 tablespoons ketchup (or mix half and half)
- 6 slices red onions or 6 slices sweet white onions
- 6 slices tomatoes
- 6 lettuce leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the mushrooms, zucchini, onion, and red bell pepper in the bowl of a food processor and process until the vegetables are finely chopped.
- Place the vegetables, ground meat, and taco seasoning mix in a medium-sized bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Shape the mixture into six 4-inch patties.
- Grill the burgers over medium coals or cook under a broiler for about 6 minutes on each side, until the internal temperature of the patties reaches 165 degrees (160 degrees for ground beef) and the meat is no longer pink inside.
- (To retain moisture, avoid pressing down on the patties as they cook.).
- Alternatively, coat a large nonstick skillet or griddle with cooking spray and cook the burgers over medium heat for about 5 minutes per side.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the cheese over each burger, cover the grill, and cook for another minute, just until the cheese is melted.
- Place each burger in a bun and top with some of the salsa or ketchup, onion, tomato, and lettuce.