Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
Low Fat and Diabetic Friendly.
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3⁄4 cup chopped zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 1⁄4 lbs 95% lean ground turkey or 1 1⁄4 lbs ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix
- 3⁄4 cup shredded reduced-fat monterey jack cheese (or nonfat cheese) or 3⁄4 cup Mexican blend cheese (or nonfat cheese)
- 6 light hamburger buns or 6 multi-grain hamburger buns
- 1⁄4 cup salsa (or mix half and half) or 1⁄4 cup ketchup, plus (or mix half and half)
- 2 tablespoons salsa (or mix half and half) or 2 tablespoons ketchup (or mix half and half)
- 6 slices red onions or 6 slices sweet white onions
- 6 slices tomatoes
- 6 lettuce leaves
- Place the mushrooms, zucchini, onion, and red bell pepper in the bowl of a food processor and process until the vegetables are finely chopped.
- Place the vegetables, ground meat, and taco seasoning mix in a medium-sized bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Shape the mixture into six 4-inch patties.
- Grill the burgers over medium coals or cook under a broiler for about 6 minutes on each side, until the internal temperature of the patties reaches 165 degrees (160 degrees for ground beef) and the meat is no longer pink inside.
- (To retain moisture, avoid pressing down on the patties as they cook.).
- Alternatively, coat a large nonstick skillet or griddle with cooking spray and cook the burgers over medium heat for about 5 minutes per side.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the cheese over each burger, cover the grill, and cook for another minute, just until the cheese is melted.
- Place each burger in a bun and top with some of the salsa or ketchup, onion, tomato, and lettuce.
SO good! My entire family loved these, even those who are not health conscious. We ate them without buns but we added horseradish aioli with mild salsa and it added just that extra kick! I used more taco seasoning than listed and I would even have used some cayenne pepper or a medium taco seasoning instead of mild. Overall, I felt really great about them and they tasted GREAT and I usually am not a burger fan at all!
These were delicious! I love how many veggies are in them, and you can't really tell they're there. We also topped with avocado. Not spicy at all, in fact, might add more taco seasoning next time or some red pepper flakes (or use hotter salsa on top). Also may top with pepper jack cheese for a kick. They were very juicy. I had a little bit of a hard time keeping the patties formed moving them from plate to BBQ - may add some bread crumbs next time and see what that does. I froze the mixture for 4 more, since there's only 2 of us, can't wait to make them again. Would make a good meatloaf too! Made for Photo Tag.