Tex-Mex seasoned turkey (with a special ingredient!) is combined with black beans to make a delicious main dish salad. Diced raw yellow squash adds a mild crunch, plus tomato, green onions and Monterey Jack cheese all tied together with a tangy-sweet honey-buttermilk dressing. Serve with tortilla chips or warm corn tortillas if you wish.
For the Tex-Mex turkey
- 3⁄4 lb ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
For the salad
- 4 cups mixed salad greens
- 7 1⁄2 ounces cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium summer squash, raw,in 1/4 " dice
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and diced
- 2 small green onions, white and part of green,minced
- 4 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded
For the Honey-Buttermilk Ranch dressing
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 5 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce
- In a medium saucepan, saute onion and garlic in the olive oil until lightly browned.
- Add turkey and brown slightly; then add unsweetened cocoa powder, chili powder, oregano, cumin and salt.
- Cook together, stirring often, until turkey is well-browned and thoroughly cooked.
- In the meantime, whisk together the dressing ingredients: buttermilk, mayonnaise, honey, chili powder, garlic salt, salt and hot sauce.
- To assemble salad, divide mixed salad greens on two dinner plates.
- Compose salads with half each of the warm Tex-Mex turkey, black beans, yellow summer squash, tomato and green onion.
- Drizzle each salad with the Honey-Buttermilk Ranch dressing and top with shredded Monterey Jack cheese.