Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is great to take to a church function or a get together as it makes two casseroles.
- 3 lbs ground beef
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 large green bell peppers, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (or to taste)
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons seasoning salt (or to taste) or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons white salt (or to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) packages 6-inch flour tortillas (24 tortillas for 2 casseroles)
- 2 (19 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese (or more or less if desired)
- 4 (11 ounce) jarsmild chunky salsa
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease two 13 x 9-inch baking pans.
- In a large Dutch oven, cook the first 4 ingredients, stirring often until the ground beef is browned and cooked; drain fat.
- Add in fresh garlic, season with salt and pepper and stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Line the 2 baking dishes with 6 tortillas.
- Divide the beef mixture between the two dishes on top of the tortillas.
- Top the ground beef with 1 can of beans, then sprinkle with 2 cup cheese.
- Top with the remaining tortillas.
- Spread two jars salsa over each casserole (one on each one).
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cover casseroles with foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove foil, bake 10-15 minutes more, or until cheese is golden.
I'd call this a mexican lasagne - so good - a really comfort meal. Followed the recipe to the letter, and was rewarded with a wonderful-tasting dinner. Just spicy enough, just cheesey enough (for our tastes), filling and very satisfying. Fortunately, this makes a lot, and leftovers were great the next day, reheated and served with a dollop of sour cream (actually, greek yoghurt in my case). A keeper.
i had one of these at the hope house here at mayo everyone loved i hoped some one had posted the recipe thank you kittencal again try her pineapple muffins too they are great dee
I made this recipe for Easter and everybody loved it, even one of my daughter that does not like ground beef. Thank you for sharing that recipe that makes a different meal (a special meal).