Recipe by 5thCourse
Jazzed up squash! If you prefer a milder dish, use a second can of chiles instead of the jalapenos.
Top Review by Siava
This is really good. I wasn't paying attention and mixed the salsa with the squash mixture instead of putting it on top near the end. Didn't make a difference. It still turned out great. I
- 2 1⁄4 lbs summer squash (about 10 cups)
- 2⁄3 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, chopped
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can jalapenos, drained and chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 2 1⁄4 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated and divided
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup salsa
- 4 scallions, sliced for garnish
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, diced for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Quarter squash lengthwise and slice thinly crosswise.
- Preheat oven 400 degrees. Grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- Combine squash, onion, chiles, jalapenos, salt and 3/4 cup cheese. Sprinkle with flour and toss to coat. Spread in baking dish and cover with foil.
- Bake until bubbling and tender, 35-45 minutes.
- Top with salsa and remaining cheese. Bake uncovered until golden, 20-30 minutes more.
- Sprinkle with scallions and red onion.