Recipe by UT Theta Chef
A southwest twist on stuffed peppers. This is a favorite of the girls I cook for. I make it healthier by using ground turkey but beef works just as well. It's also easy to change to personal tastes. Add a salad and you have a meal.
Top Review by Koechin (Chef)
OUTSTANDING! I parboiled the peppers, because we don't like them crunchy and I added 1 packet of "SAZON". This filling would also make a great Tacco Pie with a cornbread crust on top.Thanks for sharing.
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) envelope taco seasoning
- 1 (11 ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 0.5 (15 ounce) can refried beans
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 4 cups cheddar cheese, divided
- 5 medium bell peppers
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown turkey with onion in skillet until done.
- Drain all grease.
- Add taco seasoning & water as per envelope simmer 5 minute.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Cut peppers in half from top to bottom (I try to get ones that are four sided so they sit flat).
- Remove all seeds and membrane.
- Place in 2 greased 13 x 9 pans.
- Mix the salsa & refried beans.
- To the meat mixture add corn, black beans, green chiles, refried mix, and 2 cups of cheddar cheese.
- Stuff raw peppers with mix.
- Cover and bake 1 hour at 350 (can be baked longer if softer peppers are preferred).
- Uncover & top with remaining cheese.
- Place back in oven (5 min) just until cheese is melted.