Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A southwest twist on stuffed peppers. This is a favorite of the girls I cook for. I make it healthier by using ground turkey but beef works just as well. It's also easy to change to personal tastes. Add a salad and you have a meal.
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) envelope taco seasoning
- 1 (11 ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 0.5 (15 ounce) can refried beans
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 4 cups cheddar cheese, divided
- 5 medium bell peppers
- Brown turkey with onion in skillet until done.
- Drain all grease.
- Add taco seasoning & water as per envelope simmer 5 minute.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Cut peppers in half from top to bottom (I try to get ones that are four sided so they sit flat).
- Remove all seeds and membrane.
- Place in 2 greased 13 x 9 pans.
- Mix the salsa & refried beans.
- To the meat mixture add corn, black beans, green chiles, refried mix, and 2 cups of cheddar cheese.
- Stuff raw peppers with mix.
- Cover and bake 1 hour at 350 (can be baked longer if softer peppers are preferred).
- Uncover & top with remaining cheese.
- Place back in oven (5 min) just until cheese is melted.
OUTSTANDING! I parboiled the peppers, because we don't like them crunchy and I added 1 packet of "SAZON". This filling would also make a great Tacco Pie with a cornbread crust on top.Thanks for sharing.
Yummy! I used ground beef, added two cloves of garlic (you gotta have garlic! ;-) and skimped slightly on the cheese - so, so good! Would bake a little less than an hour the next time though, as I'd prefer it if the bell peppers still had a bit of bite to them - just a personal preference! What a great recipe, thank you for sharing!
Very nice combination of tastes! This was the first time I've cooked with ground turkey, thought it would be bland, not so! Made for PAC Fall 2009