Prep 50 mins
Cook 15 mins
My family loves onions! These are always requested for any family get together. I have to make a whole lot of them! Make sure you use sweet onions such as Vidalia or 1015's.
- 4 texas sweet onions (4 inches in diameter each) or 4 vidalia onions (4 inches in diameter each)
- 4 ounces chorizo sausages or 4 ounces bulk hot Italian sausage
- 4 ounces lean ground beef
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 slices muenster cheese (1 ounce each) or 4 slices gruyere cheese (1 ounce each) or 4 slices mexican goat cheese (1 ounce each)
- picante sauce
- If onions are too large, peel off outer layers until they are 4 inches in diameter.
- Remove a slice from top (stem end) of each onion so it sits flat. Starting at opposite end (root end), hollow each onion, leaving about a 1/2-inch-thick shell. Place onions in a steamer basket. Place in a Dutch oven over boiling water. Cover and steam 20 minutes. Remove and cool until easy to handle.
- While onions cook, in a medium saucepan cook and stir sausage, ground beef, salt, and pepper about 10 minutes or until meat is brown. Drain in colander.
- Arrange onions in an 8x8 inch baking pan. Spoon sausage filling into onions. Top each onion with a cheese slice. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes. Remove onions from oven.
- Adjust oven rack so onions will be 5 to 6 inches from heat. Turn oven to broil. Broil onions 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese begins to turn light brown.
- Serve with picante sauce and guacamole on the side.