1 hr 30 mins
lynnski / LA's Note:
This is a version of an old favorite Tex-Mex Corn and Green Chili Spoon Bread recipe, that has been lightened up. This recipe originally called for "egg substitute equivalent to 2 eggs", which further lightens the recipe; however either version works. An attractive presentation for this side dish is to spoon it into tamale wrappers, tied at one end and open at the other. This recipe was adapted from, The Ultimate Low-Fat Mexican Cookbook, by Anne Lindsay Greer.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels
- 1 cup vegetarian broth, chicken flavored
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup green chili, diced
- 1 jalapeno chile, stemmed, seeded and diced
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Bring chicken broth and milk to a boil in a saucepan, reduce heat to low; and slowly add the cornmeal, stirring constantly and cook until thickened (a few minutes), then add the corn kernals and set aside.
- 3Spray a medium size skillet with non-stick spray and place over medium heat; add onion, bell peppers and both chiles, and cook until softened, about a few minutes.
- 4Add onion mixture and beaten eggs to the cornmeal mixture.
- 5Season with salt and pepper.
- 6In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites with sugar until stiff.
- 7Fold some of the egg whites into the cornmeal to lighten the mixture. Then fold the lightened cornmeal mixture into the whites.
- 8Spray a two quart oblong pan with non-stick spray and pour the batter into the pan.
- 9Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top.
- 10Place the pan in a larger pan partly filled with warm weater.
- 11Bake for 45 to 60 minutes.
- 12Allow the spoon bread to set for 5 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tex-Mex Spoon Bread (Low-Fat)
Serving Size: 1 (153 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 108.2
- Calories from Fat 20
- Total Fat 2.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 54.5 mg
- Sodium 73.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 6.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: