Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Every bowl-game party needs a batch of meatballs. This one is a winner! Recipe is from Family Circle Hometown Favorites Cookbook, their most requested recipes.
- 1⁄2 cup packaged plain breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3⁄4 cup chili sauce, such as Heinz brand
- Heat oven to 350 degrees; line baking sheet with nonstick aluminum foil.
- In small bowl, combine bread crumbs and milk.
- Let stand until bread crumbs absorb the milk.
- In large bowl, combine ground beef, bread crumb mixture, eggs, dried minced onion, cumin, oregano, garlic salt and cayenne pepper.
- Mix with clean hands until combined.
- Form into 30 meatballs, each about 1 inch in diameter; place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake meatballs at 350 degree for 20 minutes.
- In large skillet, mix together broth and chili sauce.
- Add meatballs and simmer, covered, over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Stir occasionally.
- Remove cover; cook 5 minutes longer.
- Makes 30 meatballs.
- Make Ahead: Can be made ahead, cooked, covered and refrigerated for 1-2 days; reheat before serving.
- To transport, place in an insulated container.
- Serve within 2 hours (within 1 hour if outside temperature is above 90 degrees).
Very good! As the other reviewer said, this definitely has a strong taste, but that's okay cause it's a GOOD one! :) I used 2 tsp onion powder instead of the 2 T onion flakes and only 2/3 chili sauce (because I ran out) and it turned out just fine! Thanks!
This really has a tex-mex taste to it. Very dominate flavor. I cut the recipe in half and they came out great. Very easy to prepare. I made in advance and just reheated on the stove when ready to serve.Thanks Lainey for posting. :)
These meatballs are yummy. I had 26 meatballs. Not too bad LOL I used skim milk, no garlic salt. I used reduced-sodium reduced-fat beef broth. They were very easy to do. I like the fact that they cook in the oven. They are very tasty. Yummy! Thanks Lainey. Made for Newest Zaar Tag