Recipe by BecR
Tender diced pork with chipotle chiles, onion, tomatoes, mushrooms, zucchini and Mexican Queso Fresco (a mild white cheese) make a wonderful "tinga" filling for these soft Tex-Mex-style tacos. Very easy recipe, and low-cal to boot! From Ladies Home Journal. Note: If you can't find Queso Fresco cheese, Monterey Jack or a mild feta will do.
- roasted tomatoes
- 3 small tomatoes, cored
- 2 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 small chipotle chile pepper in adobo seasoning (up to 2 or 3 peppers if you like it hot, but NOT the whole can like I once did lol!)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3⁄4 lb boneless pork loin, diced
- 1 lb mushroom, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, diced (1/2 lb.)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon Mexican oregano or 3⁄4 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled queso fresco (may sub Monterey Jack cheese or a mild feta)
- 12 soft corn tortillas, warmed
Directions See How It's Made
- Make roasted tomatoes: Heat broiler.
- Line a jelly-roll pan with foil.
- Broil tomatoes and garlic 6 to 8 minutes, turning once, until charred.
- Peel tomatoes and garlic; pulse in blender with chipotle until almost smooth.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in 12-inch non-stick skillet over high heat.
- Add pork; cook 1 1/2 minutes, stirring once, until brown.
- Transfer to medium bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to skillet.
- Add mushrooms and onion and cook 8 minutes,stirring occasionally, until browned.
- Add zucchini, salt, oregano and cumin; cook 3 to 4 minutes more, until zucchini is tender.
- Add to bowl.
- Reduce heat to medium-high and heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil.
- Add roasted tomatoes; cook 2 minutes, just until thickened.
- Add pork mixture to tomatoes and cook 1 minute more, until heated through.
- Stir in cheese.
- Fill each tortilla with a generous 1/3 cup filling and roll up.