Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A twist on your regular sloppy joe sandwich. I haven't made this since the kids won't eat the chilis, but I'm saving it for a day for dh and I to try for lunch :)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 hamburger buns
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add diced onion and cook 5 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high and add ground beef and chili powder.
- Cook 5 minutes, until meat is no longer pink.
- Dran fat.
- Stir in tomato sauce, ketchup, green chiles, sugar, salt and pepper. Increase heat to high ; simmer 5 minutes, until thickened.
- Serve on soft hamburger buns with sweet pickles.
Nice sloppy Joe recipe. We enjoyed them on sugar free whole wheat rolls with broccoli and peas. Fairly mild taste, I used splenda instead of sugar.
DH and I enjoyed this one. It is pretty mild as far as the spiciness goes (I did use Mexican ketchup) but the addition of pickled jalapenos rather than sweet pickles made it piquant enough for our tastes. They would also be great with a slice of pepper jack cheese on top, I think. I halved the recipe and got enough for 4 nicely filled large-size hamburger buns. Thanks for posting!