Recipe by *Parsley*
A twist an a classic. This makes a lot; it fills a 13" x 9" pan to the rim! Prep time includes the browning meat/boiling potatoes (to be done simultaneously).
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 -2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- salt, if needed to taste
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 medium yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed' peeled, and cut into chunks
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, DIVIDED (or cheddar-jack)
- 1 tablespoon diced green chilis
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon chives
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet over med-high heat, crumble and brown beef with onion, green peppers and garlic, until no longer pink. Drain.
- In the same empty skillet, add tomatoes, kidney beans, corn, tomato sauce and spices; stir well.
- Return the hot drained beef mixture to the skillet and mix well. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Pour into the bottom of a 13" x 9" (or larger) baking pan. Sprinkle with the 1/2 cup cheese; set aside.
- While beef is browning, etc -- in a large pot, boil potato chunks in salted water until tender; drain.
- Return to hot pot and mash with butter, milk, and sour cream.
- Add 1 cup ONLY of the cheese, green chilies, and the salt, pepper and chives. Mash to desired consistancy.
- Evenly spread potatoes over cheese layer in the pan.
- Evenly sprinkle potatoes with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.