1/5 Photos of Tex Mex Shepherd's Pie
1 hr 5 mins
A twist an a classic. This makes a lot; it fills a 13" x 9" pan to the rim! Prep time includes the browning meat/boiling potatoes (to be done simultaneously).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 -2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- salt, if needed to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1In a skillet over med-high heat, crumble and brown beef with onion, green peppers and garlic, until no longer pink. Drain.
- 2In the same empty skillet, add tomatoes, kidney beans, corn, tomato sauce and spices; stir well.
- 3Return the hot drained beef mixture to the skillet and mix well. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Pour into the bottom of a 13" x 9" (or larger) baking pan. Sprinkle with the 1/2 cup cheese; set aside.
- 4While beef is browning, etc -- in a large pot, boil potato chunks in salted water until tender; drain.
- 5Return to hot pot and mash with butter, milk, and sour cream.
- 6Add 1 cup ONLY of the cheese, green chilies, and the salt, pepper and chives. Mash to desired consistancy.
- 7Evenly spread potatoes over cheese layer in the pan.
- 8Evenly sprinkle potatoes with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- 9Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tex Mex Shepherd's Pie
Serving Size: 1 (398 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 536.2
- Calories from Fat 229
- Total Fat 25.4 g
- Saturated Fat 13.1 g
- Cholesterol 90.3 mg
- Sodium 650.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.4 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 28.1 g