A twist an a classic. This makes a lot; it fills a 13" x 9" pan to the rim! Prep time includes the browning meat/boiling potatoes (to be done simultaneously).
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 -2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- salt, if needed to taste
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 medium yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed' peeled, and cut into chunks
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, DIVIDED (or cheddar-jack)
- 1 tablespoon diced green chilis
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon chives
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- In a skillet over med-high heat, crumble and brown beef with onion, green peppers and garlic, until no longer pink. Drain.
- In the same empty skillet, add tomatoes, kidney beans, corn, tomato sauce and spices; stir well.
- Return the hot drained beef mixture to the skillet and mix well. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Pour into the bottom of a 13" x 9" (or larger) baking pan. Sprinkle with the 1/2 cup cheese; set aside.
- While beef is browning, etc -- in a large pot, boil potato chunks in salted water until tender; drain.
- Return to hot pot and mash with butter, milk, and sour cream.
- Add 1 cup ONLY of the cheese, green chilies, and the salt, pepper and chives. Mash to desired consistancy.
- Evenly spread potatoes over cheese layer in the pan.
- Evenly sprinkle potatoes with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.
This was yummy! Simple and good. My grandson asked for this to be repeated often. Thanks for sharing. Made for Cookbook Tag.
A tasty variation on Shepherd's Pie! I doubled the spices (not the sugar) because I thought it was too bland. I also added 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika to the spice mixture for a nice balance. This one is a keeper!
I love shepherd's pie... and yours was a hit in our home!! We loved the added bonus of the beans!! Used a little less corn as my dbf doesn't enjoy it as much as me... Loved the layer of cheese in the middle... loved the spices... we loved it!! Made for Market Tag. Thanks parsley! :)