Prep 45 mins
Cook 25 mins
Posted by request
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter, chilled
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons undrained chopped canned green chilies
- 1⁄2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 egg yolk (mixed with 1/2 t. water)
- Preheat oven to 375°; lightly butter a 9-inch diameter circle in the center of a baking sheet.
- In a bowl, stir the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, chili powder, cumin, and pepper together.
- Cut the butter into ½ inch cubes and distribute them over the flour mixture.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In another bowl, stir the egg, milk, and chilies together.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir to combine (the dough will be sticky).
- With lightly floured hands, knead in the cheese to evenly distribute.
- With lightly floured hands, pat the dough into an 8-inch diameter circle in the center of the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush the egg mixture over the top and sides of the dough.
- With a serrated knife, cut into 8 wedges.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top is lightly browned and a cake tester comes out clean.
- Remove the baking sheet to a wire rack; cool for 5 minutes.
- Using a spatula, transfer the scones to a wire rack to cool; recut into wedges and serve.