This is a version of rice that you find at a Tex-Mex restaurant. It is way easier than it looks and after you have made it once or twice - you can do it by heart. My kids love it and I love that I can sneak a few veggies in! Can be made vegan with veggie broth.
- 2 cloves peeled and halved garlic
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup long grain white rice (not instant or fast cooking)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth or 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 cup salsa (any store brand will do)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped diced carrot (fresh, optional)
- 1⁄4 cup frozen corn or 1⁄4 cup fresh corn (optional)
- In a heavy pot, cook garlic in oil over high heat until browned, stirring often.
- Discard garlic cloves.
- Add rice to infused oil and reduce heat to medium high.
- Stirring constantly, brown rice.
- Add broth, salsa, carrots and corn and reduce heat to low.
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Fluff rice before serving.