Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
It is good as a side dish or by itself. Always heat your water or chicken stock before adding to the rice. This rice dish is a Tex-Mex (born in u.s. & considered by many as a Chicana/Chicano) food.
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain white rice
- 2 1⁄2 cups water or 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup tomatoes
- 1⁄3 cup diced onion
- 1⁄3 cup diced bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Heat water or chicken stock.
- Brown rice in skillet/w 2 tablespoon veg. oil.
- Add chop onions/bell pepper when rice is half browned.
- When rice is browned add water or chicken stock.
- Add diced tomatoes and its juice.
- Add cumin & garlic.
- Salt/pepper (to taste).
- Cover with top let cook for 20 minutes.
- Stir and let cook till water/chicken stock has evaporated and another 10 minutes (keep top on so rice can cook). It takes 30 minutes total for rice to be done.