Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Recipe is from Favorite Brand Name Classic Mexican Recipes.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup sun-dried tomato, coarsely chopped
- 1 (4 1/4 ounce) can black olives, drained and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can green chilies, drained and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees, grease one 9x5 inch loaf pan or three 5x3 inch loaf pans; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the the cheese through egg, add flour to mixture; stir just until combined.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for a 9x5 inch loaf 45 minutes or the 5x3 inch loaves 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted off center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in pan for 15 minutes, remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
- These can also be made into muffins by spooning the batter into 12 well-greased muffin cups and baking for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted off center comes out clean. Makes 12 muffins.
This recipe was a real winner with the family. I omitted the olives, because no one but me likes them, and added about a half tsp of Kosher salt. It came out savory with a little kick of sweet, moist and extremely tasty. In the future I will add more cheese, and also some onions and various chili spices. Thanks so much for the great recipe!
A very tasty bread that was easy to do. My DH and I really liked this. Made in the 3 mini loaf pans. Can't wait to make it for company. Thanks PaulaG.