Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs 10 mins
Please rate and let me know how this is!!
- 2 1⁄2 lbs boneless pork shoulder, excess fat trimmed
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium poblano chiles, cut in 3/4-in pieces
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 12 ounces of your favorite beer
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 (29 ounce) can hominy, drained
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Season pork with 1/4 tsp salt and pepper. Heat oil in a heavy 5-qt Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add pork and cook, turning to brown all sides. Remove.
- Add onion, poblano chilies and garlic to pan drippings; cook 2 minutes. Stir in beer, tomatoes, tomato paste, spices and remaining salt. Add pork and hominy. Cover and bake 2 hours or until pork is tender.
- Remove pork to a cutting board. Skim as much fat as possible off pan liquid. Shred pork with 2 forks in bite-size pieces. Return pork to pot. Stir in cilantro. Garnish with lime wedges and warmed tortilla strips if desired.