Prep 30 mins
Cook 18 mins
This is quite tasty and very different from the normal pizza. It's also healthy -- the nutritional info says that a piece has 250 calories, 7 g fat, 31 g carbs, and 17 g protein.
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 loaf frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1⁄2 lb ground sirloin
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 yellow sweet pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (16 ounce) can fat-free refried beans
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 cups reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend, shredded
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups lettuce, shredded
- Coat two 12-inch pizza pans with nonstick cooking spray and sprinkle with cornmeal.
- Divide the bread dough in half and roll each portion into a 12-inch circle.
- Transfer to prepared pans and build up edges slightly.
- Prick dough thoroughly with a fork.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 12 minutes or until slightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook the beef, onion, yellow pepper, and garlic over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in refried beans, salsa, chilies, and chili powder; heat through.
- Spread over the crusts; sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake 6-7 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
- Top with tomatoes and lettuce; serve immediately.
I made this for TexMex Photo Challenge-Nov.2008. This pizza is very hearty and very filling. I tried making it deep-dish style by putting each half of the dough into (2) round cake pans, but I had some issues with that. There was too much dough for each pan and I ended up with this HUGE air bubble! So I popped it and continued with the recipe:) I layered the ingredients instead of mixing them all together. The lettuce and tomato added the right "cool" to the "spice". We will be enjoying this pizza again soon !!! Thanks for sharing :)