A dear friend from Mexico taught me how to make this. I have tweaked it to fit my tastes. I fix this for every Mexican dinner.. tacos, enchiladas, etc. I've been asked for this recipe many ,many times.
- 1⁄2 cup sweet onion
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups white rice
- 1 (10 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons blender hot sauce
Blender Hot Sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes
- 0.5 (16 ounce) can san marzano tomatoes
- 1⁄2 sweet onion
- 3 green onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup celery rib
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup trappey's jalapeno
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro leaf
- Blender Hot Sauce- Put all ingredients in the blender and liquify until all ingredients are completly chopped. Refrigerate.
- Tex-Mex Rice- Put olive oil in a deep saute pan. Heat. Add onions and begin to saute. Add dry rice and cumin, cook and stir until toasted. Add 3 TBS blender hot sauce,and 1 can chicken broth. Cook until liquid is half gone. Remove from stove and cover . Let sit about 5-8 minutes. Enjoy!
Tasty rice! A little more work than I typically do for a salsa sauce. Makes quite a bit of sauce so plan on using remaining sauce for marinating chicken or inside a quesadilla. Thank you 50debbie for posting. Made for Spring PAC 2012.