Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Rose Reisman, this isn't your average meatloaf! It can also be made with ground chicken - just increase the amount of bread crumbs.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup mild salsa
- 1⁄4 cup dry seasoned dry bread crumb
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh coriander
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 3⁄4 cup diced onion
- 1⁄2 cup drained canned corn
- 1⁄2 cup diced sweet red pepper
- 1⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup salsa (mild, medium or hot)
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Spray an 8 x 4 inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a bowl, combine ground beef, egg, 1/3 cup salsa, bread crumbs, coriander, garlic and cumin.
- On a 12 inch square piece of waxed paper, pat out mixture into an 8 inch square.
- Filling: In a nonstick skillet sprayed with cooking spray, cook onions over medium heat for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in corn; cook 5 to 8 minutes or until corn begins to brown.
- Stir in red peppers; cook for 3 minutes or until softened.
- Spread over meatloaf and sprinkle with cheese.
- Using the waxed paper as a guide, roll up the meatloaf; carefully place in loaf pan seam side down.
- Spoon ¼ cup salsa over top.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until meat is well cooked.
- Let rest 10 minutes before carefully inverting onto a serving platter.
- Slice& serve with extra salsa.
Not bad, although when I tried to roll up the meat into a pinwheel it was way too thick and barely made a single circle.
This was the first recipe I ever made from Recipezaar. I've made it once a month since and consequently passed the recipe (and the site) on several times. Muchas gracias Country Lady!
My family thought this was an excellent recipe, we all enjoyed it very much! It also made some great sandwiches the next day. Not your average meatloaf! It was a well written and easy to follow recipe, and I will be making it again. Thanks for posting!