Prep 12 mins
Cook 0 mins
Jazz up the ordinary with this little gem. Original recipe came from the cooks at *Living*...
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 chopped canned chipotle chile
- Beat egg yolks on medium speed until slightly thickened.
- Add lemon juice, mustard, salt; beat one minute.
- Increase speed to medium-high, add 1/2 cup oil ONE TEASPOON AT A TIME (this is very important--or the mayonnaise will "break" ie., separate).
- SLOWLY pour in remaining oils in a steady stream, beating until incorporated (about 10 minutes).
- Fold in water, lemon juice, salt & chopped chile.
- Serve at room temp; refrigerate leftovers for up to a week.
- REPAIR TRICK: If the mayo does "break" salvage the mixture by whisking a single (not married!) egg yolk in another bowl, then beat mayo into it a little at a time.
Nice and spicy! This mayo didn't "catch" when I made it, but I think it was the humidity and a low front moving in to the midstate. Still, it's thick enough to use on leftovers of " Garlic Chicken & Potato Salad" and a great way to use up a leftover chipotle chile. Made for ZWT III Zingo . Thanks for posting.