This is a family favourite that comes from an old Milk Calandar. Even DH, who doesn't like anything tex-mex raves about this one. I always make it with the ham, but the if you have left over chicken, I bet it would be just as good.
- Cook Pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a medium sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Stir in flour until blended.
- Gradually whisk in Milk and salt, making sure there are no lumps.
- Stir and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to low, add cheese a handful at a time, stirring until melted.
- Stir in chicken or ham, corn, green onions and salsa; heat through.
- To serve, drain pasta; turn into a large bowl.
- Toss sauce with pasta and sprinkle with additional grated Cheddar cheese, if desired.
yummy! of course, i can't leave anything the way it is, so i added minced garlic, a can of sliced black olives, sliced mushrooms, onion and red bell pepper - i then topped it with shredded cheddar and baked it at 375 until the cheese melted, for about 25-30 minutes. i added in some extra half & half to account for the extra ingredients, used leftover ham and it was delish! definately a good salsa would make a big difference IMHO. thanks, will make again!
This got mixed reviews at our house. I liked it but no one else did. I followed the recipe as written but it seemed a bit bland so I ended up adding the whole jar of salsa. I thought this helped but still no one else liked it. Made for Spring PAC 2012
This was the perfect way to use leftover diced ham. I had already exhausted the other possible dinner options, so decided to give this a try. And so glad I did. My hubby and I agreed that it was missing a little something (but not enough to keep us from looking forward to the leftovers). Maybe something to give it a little more "kick" (and we did use medium salsa to begin with)...maybe more salsa, or cheese, some hot sauce or red pepper flakes? Any (or even all) of the above would probably put it right at the perfect-o mark. Also, I was a little worried about the green onions, but they were a great addition. Love this recipe!