Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is great for breakfast, brunch, or dinner and it's relatively lowfat.
- 6 ounces jimmy dean fresh pork chorizo sausage
- 1⁄2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel tomatoes & chilies, drained
- 1⁄3 cup carnation evaporated low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 cup Egg Beaters egg substitute, egg substitute.
- 1⁄4 cup shredded lowfat mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spray a large non stick skillet with Pam or similar spray release.
- Add olive oil.
- Heat over a medium flame.
- Dice onion and add to the skillet and cook until golden in color.
- Add Chorizo and cook until done, about 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Drain any fat.
- Add drained Rotel tomatoes and chiles, garlic, and spices.
- Simmer until reduced (about 10 mins), stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, combine Egg Beaters and evaporated milk in a mixing bowl and beat with a fork or whisk until frothy.
- Pour egg mixture over chorizo and tomatoes and cook until the eggs have set on the bottom and are nearly set on top (about 6 minutes)-- do not stir.
- Remove from stove and sprinkle with both cheeses.
- Place in a 350 F oven and cook until cheeses have melted and eggs have set on top (about 5 minutes).
- Remove from oven and let rest 2 minutes then serve.
I love spicy food and this really hits the spot for me! I make this every couple of weeks and then wrap up small squares in parchment paper. I heat it up in the microwave at work and it's a quick breakfast. I did make a couple of modifications; I used 8 oz. chorizo, 1 cup spanish onion, and 1/3 reduced fat cheddar cheese. Thanks for posting this one John!