Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Prepare ahead casserole that is always a hit. Just enough spice to get that Southwest 'flavor'. Man, this is what makes a great Tex-Mex meal. Need to refrigerate overnight.
- 907.18 g lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 29.58 ml gebhardt chili powder
- 9.85-14.78 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml salt
- 425.24 g can ranch style beans
- 6 corn tortillas
- 354.88 ml shredded monterey jack cheese (6 ounces)
- 354.88 ml shredded cheddar cheese (6 ounces)
- 283.49 g can Rotel tomatoes & chilies
- 304.75 g can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- Cook the ground beef and onion in a large skillet until meat is brown and onion is tender, drain.
- Add chili powder, cumin, and salt; stir well.
- Cook meat mixture over low heat 10 minutes.
- Spoon meat mixture into a 13- x 9- x 2-inch baking pan.
- Layer beans, tortillas, and cheese over meat mixture.
- Pour tomato liquid over cheese, chop tomatoes and spread tomatoes and chiles over cheese.
- Spread soup over top of casserole.
- Cover baking pan; refrigerate overnight.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour.
- Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Excellent casserole. I made it in the morning, too and let it refrigerate all day. Stuck it in the oven and getting dinner ready was no big deal. This casserole has lively Tex-Mex flavor that we all enjoyed. Very cheesy too, which is always important to me. Worth doing again. Thanks kcdelong.
Loved this casserole! I made it early in the morning and refrigerated it all day and just popped it in the oven for an instant supper. It was really delicious! I put jalapenos on top and I think next time I make it I may saute some corn in the beef mixture. I'd recommend this to anyone!
I made this last week just as written and it was wonderful. My twins called this morning and said they were bringing home friends for dinner and wanted this casserole again. I have no car and no tortillas but did have a bag of Fritos soooooooo. Worked just fine and had to print out the recipe and send it home with a couple of the boys. Thanks for a kid friendly master piece. Went into the "Keeper" file.......Lydia