Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
So far this is my favorite recipe that I use. It is from Joanna Lund. I make this at least once a month. It has a great taste and the portion size is plentiful. Per serving is 260 calories. The diabetic exchanges per serving are: 2 1/2 protein, 2 vegetable, 1 starch. You won't be sorry for trying it. My 3 year old son eats it too. You won't miss the fat/calories.
- 16 ounces lean ground turkey or 16 ounces beef
- 1⁄2 teaspoon instant minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup chunky salsa
- 2 teaspoons chili seasoning mix
- 1 3⁄4 cups tomato sauce (15 ounce can)
- 1⁄4 cup reduced sodium ketchup
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 2 cups cooked rice, hot
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded (3 oz.)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray an 8-by-8-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet sprayed with cooking spray, brown meat, garlic, onion and green pepper.
- Add salsa, chili seasoning, tomato sauce and ketchup.
- Mix well to combine.
- Stir in corn, rice and cheddar cheese.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Place baking dish on a wire rack and let set for 5 minutes.
- Divide into 6 servings.
- HINT: 1 1/3 cups uncooked rice usually cooks to about 2 cups.
I made this casserole for dinner today.8-28-09..I liked it, my DH did not care for it..If I were to rate this I would give it a 4 my DH said a 2..Everyones taste are different,cant please everyone...But thank you for posting...I reheated the leftovers for dinner today 9-1-09 and my DH liked it better...It had time for the flavors to mingle..I will make this again,but cook the day before and reheat ...
This recipe is tops for delivering a lot of flavor while being a healthy dish that offers a very forgiving attitude. I replaced the meat with t.v.p. and used all tomato sauce instead of adding ketchup. Lastly I used fat free cheese. It's very easy to make and a real treat. Thank you very much for posting this one Goochie. Made for PAC, Spring '08
How much easier can this get??? This is a great tasting,really simple to put together recipe,and if you like Mexican dishes,you will love this. Thnk you ,this is delicious,Darlene