Recipe by SkinnyMinnie
Another little recipe I found in our local paper. This one has NO meat in it, but feel free to add pieces of chicken or other tender meat to this mix. Small pieces will cook in the time required for the noodles to become tender. Or, just serve with grilled or pan seared chicken.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces vermicelli, broken up (about 2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- In a wide skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook for 10 min, until quite reduced in size and golden, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 min more.
- Break the vermicelli into short lengths (2 inches or so) and add them to the skillet as you do.
- Stir and cook for 3-4 minute They will turn opaque and then begin to brown.
- Stir them often, and when many of them are brown and the others are opaque, add the salt, pepper, cumin, green chilies, tomato sauce, and water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Cover and reduce heat to low and simmer for about 10 min or until the noodles are tender.