This came from the Southern Living Cook-Off Contest and was adjusted to make a meatless meal. You may use real meat.
- 1 (5 ounce) package yellow rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb ground soy chorizo (meatless chorizo "sausage" You may use meatless crumbles or broken up meatless sausage patties)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Mexican-style tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese (8 ounces)
- 6 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix (If using the soyrizo-you may eliminate the taco mix)
- 28 egg roll wraps
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
Creamy Cilantro Dipping Sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup salsa (of your choice)
- 2 scallions
- finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Cook rice according to package directions, using 1 teaspoon salt.
- Cool completely.
- If using soyrizo, there is no need to brown it.
- If using real meat, now is when you would brown it.
- If using meatless patties or crumbles, you would want to heat them.
- Stir together rice,"sausage", black beans, and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup rice mixture in center of each egg roll wrapper.
- Fold top corner of wrapper over filling, tucking tip of corner under filling; fold left and right corners over filling.
- Lightly brush remaining corner with egg; tightly roll filled end toward the remaining corner, and gently press to seal.
- Pour oil into heavy Dutch oven; heat to 375 degrees F.
- Fry egg rolls, in batches, 2 to 3 minutes or until golden.
- Drain on wire rack over paper towels.
- Serve with Creamy Cilantro Dipping Sauce.
- Garnish, if desired.
- Creamy Cilantro Dipping Sauce: Process first 5 ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
- Garnish, if desired.
- To freeze: Assemble egg rolls as directed through step 9. Place on a baking sheet and freeze until firm. Transfer to a freezer bag, seal, label and freeze.
- To serve: Thaw in fridge or microwave to thaw for about 3 minutes. Fry as directed.
- Note: For a beautiful presentation, cut top from 1 large red bell pepper, reserving top; remove and discard seeds and membrane, leaving pepper intact.
- Arrange bell pepper on a serving plate, and fill with sauce.