Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Also called 7 Layer Dip. This recipe came from Family Circle Magazine sometime around the late 70's, it also said it appeared in the Ft. Worth Star-Telegram which I use to read faithfully. This has been my sons favorite dip for years.
- 3 medium ripe avocados
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 (1/4-1 1/8 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans bean dip
- 1 bunch green onions with top, chopped (1 cup)
- 3 medium tomatoes, cored, halved, seeded and coarsely chopped (2 cups)
- 2 (3 1/2 ounce) cans pitted ripe olives, drained, coarsely chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) package sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- tortilla chips
- Peel, pit and mash avocados in a medium-size bowl with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Combine sour cream, mayonnaise, and taco seasoning mix in a bowl.
- To assemble: Spread bean dip on a large shallow serving platter; top with seasoned avocado mixture; layer with sour cream-taco mixture.
- Sprinkle with chopped onions, tomatoes and olives; cover with shredded cheese.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature with round tortilla chips.
My grandma has been making this EXACT dip recipe since I was a little girl in the 1980s I was online looking for her recipe and I finally found the exact one she always used. I knew this was for sure when I saw this recipe came from 1970s magazine! This is the one
This is THE BEST Tex Mex Dip recipe in existence. I make this pretty frequently for a meatless dinner.
definitely a keeper!