Prep 2 mins
Cook 5 mins
I worked this out trying to make a South Beach Diet substitute for Mexican Rice.
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) boxof near east original couscous or 3⁄4 cup uncooked couscous
- 1 1⁄2 cups low-fat beef broth
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cilantro
- Bring beef broth, olive oil and spices to a boil.
- Add couscous, stir, remove from heat and cover.
- Let stand 5 minutes, fluff and serve.
- You can also add drained, cooked black beans if you wish.
- Unfortunately, corn is not allowed on the South Beach Diet.
This was my first time using couscous & it worked great! I used the whole wheat kind & used sodium free chicken broth. Everything else I pretty much followed to a "t!" Thank u very much for sharing; went great with my chimichanga!
This is an excellant recipe, very tasty and satisfying. I agree about the salt, it does need a little dab.
One of the quickest and easiest great recipes I have ever made. Served it as a side with BBQ pork ribs. Since we are not on a low carb diet, I did add corn...Yum!