Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Heres a quick and tasty soup to heat you up in the middle of winter!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1 (4 ounce) cangreen diced green chilies, dont drain
- 2 cups chopped red sweet bell peppers
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 2 diced jalapenos
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 5 lbs yukon gold potatoes, 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 lbs frozen corn
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 3 cups milk
- chopped cilantro
- shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- In a large soup pot saute the onions in oil until almost translucent.
- Add the broth and remaining vegetables except corn.
- Simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add the corn and simmer for 10 minutes more.
- Add the cream and milk.
- Turn heat up to medium but do not boil-you want a hearty simmer.
- Remove from heat and pour into a soup tureen.
- Offer pepper, cilantro and cheese at the table.
I adjusted this recipe based on the last review. I added one can of creamed corn, 2 t chili powder, one green pepper diced, 1 t garlic powder, and 3T white flour. The result was much lauded by my fiance. It has a good heat while maintaining a nice sweet corn flavor.
This recipe was alright. It came out very bland and needing "something." I ended up adding a lot of different spices such as cayene, chili powder, corriander, salt, garlic/onion powder, just to add something to it that seemed missing. I even added chicken stock and some pieces of leftover roast chicken for flavor. I would suggest adding clam broth to this too. I added the cilantro right to the soup to give it more flavor also. It seemed like a great recipe but realy needed more flavor.