Recipe by Leslie in Texas
This is from a March 1984 issue of Bon Appetit in the Food Processor section that used to be in the magazine. (I guess that's when processors were new on the cooking scene!). Although this recipe is written for the processor, it can easily be adapted to the regular slice and dice method and you could even use the packaged coleslaw mixtures. It can be prepared up to 2 days ahead.This is great with barbeque or burgers or your favorite Tex-Mex food.
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro leaf (packed)
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 jalapeno pepper, halved and seeded
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 1⁄3 cups vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 lbs green cabbage, cored (and cut into wedges to fit feed tube)
Directions See How It's Made
- With Steel Knife:.
- Place cilantro in work bowl;with machine running, drop garlic and jalapeno pepper through feed tube and mince finely.
- Add onion and chop finely, using on/off turns.
- Add oil,vinegar,sugar, salt and pepper and blend 3 seconds.
- Pour dressing into large bowl and set aside.
- With Thin Slicer:.
- Arrange cabbage wedges cut side down in feed tube and slice using firm pressure, transfering to the large bowl as necessary.
- Toss cabbage with dressing, cover and refrigerate.
- When ready to serve, drain excess liquid and adjust seasoning if necessary.